Saturday, February 23, 2008

A Thing-A-Week Part XII: Mock Apple Pie


So, This is the experimental pie (see previous post). The book I am reading (also in a previous post) has the main character judging a baking contest. This pie was entered as a novelty Apple Pie. The book describes it as delicious with the only downer being the texture of the apples. And then you find out what it is....Saltine Crackers. Yup. The only fruit in this pie is lemon juice. I was skeptical so I decided I had to try this, and unveil it around others so that people wouldn't think I was making it up.

I brought it over to the Rockband group. The comments I heard were "this is really good" and "I like the cake but the pie is better." I was even floored that it tasted so good. One person guessed what it was but a lot of people couldn't believe it was saltines. The texture is indeed not quite right but it is yummy none the less and wasn't that difficult to make. Mine was rather soupy which is somewhat problematic. And, while I love the pie crust I use I don't think it is really meant to be used as a multi-purpose crust. I should give another friend's pie crust a try.

No comments: