Saturday, February 23, 2008

A Thing-A-Week Part X: Popovers

Popovers!

So I, on a whim, purchased a book called "Key Lime Pie Murder" by Joanne Fluke. I like mysteries and I like books where food plays a part. I am often disappointed by both genres so I did not expect much in terms of quality of the work. And, thus far I have not been surprised--tepid writing that keeps me involved only because I want to find out what happens. This makes it an excellent book for bus-riding and I am always in search of those.

Anyway, the reason I eventually bought this book is because there were recipes inside. I am always won over by the opportunity to play. The main character of the story owns a cookie/coffee shop and generally shares some of the recipes she makes in her day-to-day life or in her cookie shop. Popovers happened to be one of them. I have never had a popover and I got the impression that they are extremely unforgiving so I have never tried them. But, this recipe seemed really simple (many of the recipes are) and so I gave it a try. And it was for the most part. I don't think I fully incorporated the flour which may have affected the results and I think that my oven didn't get hot enough so I may have to do some more experimentation. However, for a first go I was pleased that I got at least half of them to go boom! out of the sides of the pan. I put some one a plate with some jam and ate them on the floor picnic style with Aaron. It felt very decadent. They weren't too bad. They were sort of a biscuit-y french toast. I would be interested in trying different flavor varieties once I manage to make it work.

EDIT: So what are popovers supposed to taste like anyway?

6 comments:

Ingus said...

Croissanty-crunchy on the outside, eggy-doughy soft on the inside. Giant creme-puffs are usually popovers filled with pastry cream.
They're usually a pretty neutral flavor-- it's the textures that make them fun and interesting, plus the concept that they rise because of steam and not leavening. They're great fun to watch bake through the oven glass. They're very yummy with cream based soups.

relativelylucid said...

Yay! They turned out then :)

I have seen popovers flavored with different stuff and I definitely want to try some of those.

Ingus said...

They actually make popover pans that are like cupcake pans except the walls of the wells are much deeper and a smaller diameter across.

relativelylucid said...

One of the reasons I had never made popovers is I didn't want to have to purchase a special pan for them. I was happy to discover I could make them in a muffin pan. The success is probably greater with the narrower/taller shape but my cake pan collection is starting to get kinda silly so I didn't want to add any more to it.

Ingus said...

Are you sure that's allowed? Not constantly increasing your kiitchen gadget and pan collection?

*looks at own kitchen gadget and pan collection amused-- and maybe bemused*

relativelylucid said...

Shhh...I would own the entire Wilton novelty collection if I could find space for them all. I am trying to convince myself I have too many so I don't keep buying them.