Sunday, February 3, 2008

Thing-A-Week Part I: A scary dishrag


So this is my first "thing." I had wanted to make some dishrag/washcloth things as Twelfth Night gifts. My mom has a pattern for them and used to make them all the time. I however couldn't make any sense of the pattern so I just knit a roughly square object. My knitting is really bad and it looks rather scary up close. But, I think it will serve it's purpose and is going to go into my camp kitchen set which I am slowly building (as in, look I have the first piece of my camp kitchen set!).

The problem I have with knitting is that it just doesn't make "sense." Embroidery makes sense. I understand the mechanics of it, what goes wrong when things do go wrong, and just sort of the nature of the beast. Knitting doesn't make any sense to me. I can't figure out why things go wrong. I am still baffled by patterns and anything more complicated then casting on/off, knitting, and purling (and the latter is still a toss up). I have some blanket patterns I might try at some point but for now I will keep making lump scarves and dishrags and just enjoy the calming rhythm of the needles. If I want to make something presentable I will just have to stick with embroidery for the time being.

On the embroidery front, I am progressing on the "chicken of doom" which will hopefully be a forthcoming post.

That is of course the other problem with the whole thing a day or week problem for me. Many of my projects require more than just a day and many of my days are already filled with work stuff. But maybe this is a good chance to do some more cooking experimentation.

No comments: