Sunday, February 10, 2008

Thing-A-Week Part IV: Fake Fish

Fake Fish:
I don't have a mortar and pestle large enough to crust the apples so I had to be creative using a bowl and a meat tenderizer I don't actually use for tenderizing meat. It worked fairly well actually. I was not ambitious enough to try this with gingerbread as I didn't want to make gingerbread ahead of time and couldn't find an acceptable substitute at the grocery store. I just used the crushed almonds instead. In fact, I used the strained almonds left from an almond milk experiment earlier this week so as not to be wasteful. I mixed all this with a little sugar, cinnamon, and ginger and baked it in a happy fish shaped shell. (It is supposed to be a catfish for the local SCA group's heraldry.) About 10 minutes before I took it out of the oven I brushed on an egg wash with some crushed saffron for a nice golden color. The flavor was very scrumptious and I certainly will be making this again.

4 comments:

A. Rebekah Turner said...

This is so cute! I'm glad you made something you liked to eat as well as experimenting with a recipe that included elements you didn't like (refering to the flownys).

Emily Richardson said...

Hee hee! Fake Jararvellir catfish for Lent. That's awesome.

Eliane said...

I love it. I got to watch you make this, and it was tres fun, as well as nibbling at the scraps of dough. I'm glad it tasted good! That's a big bonus.

relativelylucid said...

Thanks everyone! This one was a lot of fun and I am always happy to find period recipes I actually enjoy though I do admit to being surprised at liking things better than I expected.