Sunday, March 23, 2008

A Thing-A-Week Part XX: Peach Cobbler


...okay so Genius Photographer I am not. This is yet another recipe inspired by the murder mystery series I am reading. In the book it was called "Minnesota Peach Cobbler" and was an answer to the main characters business competition who supposedly made a famous Georgia Peach Cobbler. It was described as having a cookie like layer for the crust and so I was curious.

You start with frozen peaches (it is the Midwest afterall and it is hard to find fresh peaches out of season). They are covered in a spiced flour sugar mixture and baked in the oven for about 40 minutes to thicken the syrup and "thaw" the peaches. I ended up stirring it up a bit when I took it out of the oven so that the sugar that settled wouldn't burn. Then you dab this paste-like cookie dough on top(I actually changed this a bit by adding some vanilla and a little lemon juice as it didn't seem like it would have much flavor to me). There doesn't seem like there is enough dough to cover the cobbler and it doesn't look very pretty because it is really hard to work with but I put it back in the oven and hoped for the best.

I couldn't believe it when I took it out of the oven. The crust had puffed up and spread to cover the entire cobbler. And it was really good. I think this would also work well with frozen berries.

No comments: