Sunday, March 9, 2008

A Thing-A-Week Part XVI: Knitting Stuff

This week I made yet another lumpy dishrag (see below) started my fifth. Eliane also taught me how to knit in the round while I was at Eithni's yesterday. I ripped it out when I got home and started over hoping to have things look somewhat more uniform now that I sort of understood the theory but I am still having problems with the tension that falls on the gap between needles. Maybe this will be something that corrects itself as I go along but it is somewhat irksome now. Yes I know I am not going to be perfect right away but I get frustrated with knitting because I seem to keep making the same mistakes with it and I really don't understand why. I am not sure I ever want to do socks (too much counting and other weird stitch things) but I want to try to make some little purses. I was inspired by the one Eliane made off the TI cover.

In other crafty goodness there was much geeky hanging out fun at Gulf Wars North. I got to make lamb patties with Arnora and Iohanna. It was....an interesting experience all things considered :)

2 comments:

Eliane said...

Hi! It looks fine! NOTHING in the first four or so rows will look right. That's normal. You will have these long ladders between the needles for awhile. When you get past the first few rows, try pulling the thread a little tighter than usual for the first stitch on a new needle. But if you pull it too tight, it will backfire on you because the stitch itself will not have enough yarn in it and the fabric will look funny, kind of pulling into itself. So you can be firm, but not insistent.

Does that make sense?

relativelylucid said...

Knitting is something I have to experience before it makes any sense. But it is good to know that it just takes time.