Saturday, March 15, 2008

A Thing-A-Week Part XIX: Snickerdoodles


So my craving for cinnamon lately lead to my decision to try to make snickerdoodles. I never used to like them until recently, but somewhere in the last year I developed a fondness for the crisp, buttery, melt-in-your-mouth cookie that explodes with cinnamon sugar goodness.

I went to the old standby Joy of Cooking for my recipe. It came together really well--incredibly simple if somewhat sticky. They exploded in the oven to sort of gigantic proportions. But, they were all nice and puffy in the oven. They fell into flat little pan cakes once they left the oven. I thought perhaps my pan rotation thing was causing them to fall (my mom always rotated her cookie pans--cookies baked for half the time on the bottom rack and were then moved to the top rack and another tray was added to the bottom. I don't know why she did it and no cookbook has ever described it that way. I just do it because she does it and a lot of what I know about cooking is copied from watching my mom and other folks in the kitchen). So, I decided to leave the pan in the oven the entire time to see if that helped. Nope. The baking was more even but they still turned into flat little pancakes.

They taste fantastic. Exactly what I wanted but I am not sure why on earth they are doing this cycle of explosion/implosion.

No comments: