Sunday, January 9, 2011

Cake Party

One of my favorite places in the universe is the Sow's Ear. It is my knitting store of choice and my cafe of choice as well it comes down to it. It is full of string and tasty food and coffee smells. Even the most aggravating human beings I know don't rub my nerves when I am there. I can spend hours there knitting and petting string and enjoying their tasty sandwiches (My favorite is the Savory Sow with brie and roasted red peppers). The staff is awesome (one of the coffee guys even knows how to rock a bowler hat). It is such a happy place and in many ways feels like home for me. It is the sort of shop I would like to have if I ever owned a shop. I even like the way the string still smells like the shop even after I have had it home for a couple of days.

The other great thing this place has is knitters. There are some locals who just really enjoy the atmosphere but even many of them eventually can't resist the allure of string for too long. Knitters are a strange group. Maybe it is just that we all know that string is something that needs to be shared and so it overcomes any social awkwardness or misanthropic tendencies.

Anyway, I met some friends there and while we were happily enjoying all that the Sow's Ear has to offer I overheard someone at the next table talk about a cake party. The following exchange ensued:

Me: I am sorry for eavesdropping but I must know what is a cake party and why have I never heard of it before?
Lovely Woman Wearing the February Lady Sweater: Well it is a party where everyone brings cake and then you eat it.
Me: Wow...I definitely need to steal that idea.
LWWFLS: Be my guest.

So yesterday, two of the most awesome women I know descended upon my house, and we had a cake party. I made a jam cake with caramel icing that was completely full of fail and some lovely oreo cheesecakes that were unbelievably full of win. We ordered Chinese food, drank tea and wine, ate cake and snacks, and watched hours of chick flicks and played with string. It was one of the best days I have had in a long time, and needs to be repeated...with better cake options :)

No comments: