Sunday, May 3, 2009

Or Nue

This was completed circa 2003 or 2004? I am not sure which.



I have been trying to find documentation for how or nue was executed. There are lots of examples of pieces that were done but not a lot of good explaination on the techniques used. This is an attempt to try one theorized technique--I stitched the image row by row in the colored thread. This meant that I had up to 6 needles acting at once. I've also seen people lay the gold thread first and then go back over it in colored silks, but I worried that this would cause uneven tension and allow limited access to the image beneath the gold. I would be happy to hear suggestions.

I understand that varying the spacings on various couched colored threads created depth and shading to the image couched on the metallic thread. For this project I was just trying to figure out a plausible way to recreate the style and was thus more concerned about creating an image. I will work with shading as I progress in my skill level.

(Materials used: gold colored passing thread; colored silks; linen ground)

No comments: