Saturday, April 19, 2008

A Thing-A-Week Part 24: Layer Cake

I had a ton of the chireseye left. It was good but not really that good. So I was curious if it might work as a filling for a layer cake. It was late when I got the notion so I whipped up a really simple chocolate cake. This turned out to be an adventure in and of itself. I only had half the amount of cocoa powder that I needed. So I need to add more of something but something that would add flavor. So I grabbed some instant pudding powder from the pantry. Sadly only vanilla but I was feeling adventurous. It turned out to be a sort of good idea as it made the cake denser/chewier and therefore able to stand up to the moisture from the cherry pudding without turning into a soggy mess. This might be the way to go again only perhaps with chocolate pudding instead. It turned out kind of yummy actually and might be worth doing again.

I sliced the two cakes in half horizontally so that I could end up with three layers of cherry goo and use more of it up.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

... Are these "action Aaron" shots actual action photos? Or are they staged special for the blog. I wonder. ;) That guy's such a rascal. -Abby

relativelylucid said...

I think for the tapioca pudding one he made such a cute face when I put it in the bowl on the counter in order to take the picture that I asked if he would pose with it. Since then he seems to be amused by attempting to grab my food in the photos and sometimes it is just easier to let him. :)