Sunday, April 13, 2008

A Thing-A-Week Part 22: Knitted Shawl

So I attempted to knit this: http://tinyurl.com/4g5cha

It is made with all sorts of interesting fluffy yarns that are knitted in with a soft base yarn on these GIGANTIC needles. They were 1 inch thick and Aaron stayed as far away from me as possible while I was working on it. They are designed to knit large items quickly (they are called speed stix) but I essentially ended up with a big piece of netting that stretched in weird ways and is definitely the lumpiest thing I have knitted to date. I don't think my knitting skills are really at a level to handle this kind of project and there are some things I am still kind of faking because I am not sure how to do them. The colors are pretty (I am very happy I was able to figure out color-combo on my own because I didn't want to use the intense colors the pattern recommended). It is a little to short to be at a comfortable length for me but I can snuggle up with its softness. I do want to at some point make a lacy shawl I have seen patterns for but I don't think I am really ready for that yet. This also took me a lot longer than 4 hours (as the pattern suggested) but I did manage to get it done this weekend.

1 comment:

Emily Richardson said...

Ha ha, Aaron learned his lesson about crochet hooks long ago from Rebekah; guess this applies to knitting needles too!