Tuesday, August 21, 2012

GenCon 45

We just got back from GenCon 45 in Indianapolis.  There were a lot of ups and downs but in general I had a really great time.

Wednesday night when everyone arrives, the usual gang meets up at Buca di Beppo.  It is a family style Italian restaurant.  It is loud and crazy and at the same time has this strange way of making everyone family.  It is a little intense for me, but this year I got to enjoy its jois de vivre as well.  It is a nice way to start the week.

It being GenCon there was of course a lot of games.  I played a couple of games of Brass and Steel and decided to pick up some of their materials.  I am debating whether or not I am up for running my own LARP using one of their quick starts.  I also played a couple of LARPs that involved some wacky hijinks.  They were both playtests so there were some details to iron out, but I had a good time.

This year I decided to do some costuming.  I made a steampunk-esque costume for Friday (skirt and apron with an exterior corset-the first one that I made was too large so I steampunked it).  Saturday I wore my Victorian polonaise.  I have been working on this for about a year and made all the foundation garments and exterior garments myself.  One of the LARPs for Saturday was set in the Morris-Butler house which is a restored Victorian home.  The LARP itself was supposed to be Edwardian themed but all the participants had a variety of costumes from Victorian to 1920s.  This was one of the best LARP experiences I have had.  Aside from the unbelievable setting, it felt like all of the players were committed to creating an atmosphere.  I have had some of the best in-game conversations in my brief game experience.

The house was unbelievable.  I want to go back and take a regular tour so  that I can learn more about it.  The restoration group did such an amazing job creating an atmosphere of "home".  The details were incredible and included a pair of handmade knit socks and some tatting in process on one chair.  The remade kitchen was just magic.  I loved every moment.


There were some incredible costumes this year.  I have noticed that there are some interesting levels of costume at GenCon.  For some people it is a chance to wear all the wacky things they don't get to wear in everyday life.  Then there are the pre-made costumes that no one ever seems comfortable in, but they offer a good start.  Then there are the costumes that are made like clothes.  In the end, I think the best clothes are the ones that the wearer owns the look.  Some costumes wear the person.  Some costumes are worn.  One of the Darth Vader's was so well-played that people cleared a path for them. 

GenCon provides a good opportunity for geeks to be awesome.  It is fun to be apart of that.

No comments: