Monday, January 16, 2012

Winter Break

My winter break has been lovely in that I have really enjoyed getting back to reading books for me. Of course, I didn't even make a dent in my list because a friend of mine introduced me to a new author, Jennifer Cruise. She has been exactly what I needed to the point that even books I was looking forward to reading couldn't hold my attention when I know there is a Cruise novel that I haven't read yet.

Granted it is chic lit, and you can see Cruise's formula after you read a few. It makes no illusions to being amazing classical literature. However the author delivers strong, quirky female characters that as a reader you can't help but cheer for. These women are beautiful in their individuality and the romances are fun and exciting if a little too fast to jump the "forever" hurdle. (However, I dated my husband for years before we got married so I am probably more cautious then most).

My friend bought me a copy of "Bet Me" and gave it to me on New Year's. I started the book at 10 pm and read it straight through until 6 am. I didn't have to work that day so I just basked in the luxury of being fully immersed in a book.

Spring semester starts this week and I am taking a Detective Fiction class so my reading list will switch back to required reading. Having picked up my books for class, I am really excited about the list this semester. This is the class I am taking for me. I already have my lit requirement, but I couldn't NOT take this class.

I have been a bit of a hermit this weekend. I went to Sow's Ear with some friends on Saturday and talked about books and movies with two fabulous women I know. But Sunday I just curled up and watched Netflix and worked on knitting my new winter hat. I was able to get it done, but it means that I didn't get much else done. It is this pattern and I used Cascade Eco Duo for the hat. I have to say Cascade yarn's are just a pleasure to knit with and Eco is a new favorite. It was so soft, the springy-ness was just right, and I loved watching the colorway progress. I have some more and I want to make some matching mittens.

I need to go back to being productive. I recently got a promotion at work which I am enjoying for the most part, but it is a significant increase in my work load. So, even though today is a holiday, I need to go be productive. I have a pot of Earl Grey and I am pretending I also have a healthy supply of motivation.

No comments: