Monday, August 1, 2011

Things that make me go grrr!

A friend recently shared this article with me. I can't even begin to tell you exceedingly frustrated I am by this sort of thing. It is a perfect example of what is wrong with body image in our culture.

Everyday we are given conflicting viewpoints: you should be a size 0 and spend 24 hours a day in a gym to be valuable, but you also deserve the right to eat whatever you want without consequences. And don't worry about dieting. There is a quick-fix fool-proof no fail diet that will guarantee you can eat whatever you want and still lose weight. Only big fat losers are unsuccessful...and it goes on ad nauseum.

I am obese. And no not the whiny "I need to lose 5 vanity pounds" overweight but clinically obese. I have struggled with my weight since I was a kid and have been seeing nutritionists and counselors since that time. I take responsibility for my choices, and I do not blame anyone for the end result of those choices. I am, however, frustrated to no end by articles like the above that make people feel guilty for trying to make improvements in their overall health picture.

Yes, I agree that there are a lot of "hidden" factors in what makes foods go from healthy to not. However, this article with it's snide condescending tone completely misses the mark on what could have been an informative reading. Rather then scaring people by associating iced tea with obesity, I believe it would be far more helpful to show people how to look at their food choices and be aware that even when one thinks they are eating healthy, they may be missing some of the finer details.

I am not saying the writers aren't correct. Eating a cucumber = good. Eating a cucumber with mayo = less good. That doesn't mean that this is the reason someone is obese. People need to be aware of what they are eating. One of the reasons that weight loss regimens fail is because people become defeated. They work really hard and either show no progress or stall. How many people read that article in the midst of making new and healthy lifestyle choices and gave up because they felt that there was just no point; no matter what they, do they are wrong?

Yes, covering your granola with sugar and oil and chocolate and other goo increases calorie load. Not accounting for that change can mean that a person may go over their calorie requirements for the day and not burn off some of those extra calories. Those non-utilized calories may get stored in the body. But, that doesn't mean one shouldn't eat granola. It is high in fiber which is good for your colon and it is more filling because it takes more time for the body to digest. The addition of fresh/dried fruit allows for more nutrients and adding milk or soymilk will give one the extra protein to get through to the next meal. It is not a bad choice. You just have to read the labels on the box of granola to see what else you are getting. Not all granolas are made the same. And if you can't find one that meets your dietary needs, make your own. It is actually really easy and there are some great recipes. A lot of commercial brands add the extra fat/sweeteners to make it taste better because lets face it, fat and sugar taste good but that doesn't mean granola can't taste good without them.


Read labels I guess is what I want to say. And be honest with yourself. Calories are not inherently evil. And any nutritionist will tell you that your body needs some fat in order to maintain itself (though probably not in the quantities we consume it in this country). Yes, some health foods stop being healthy when you add other flavorings or change how they are processed. I don't think that means that people should stop eating dried fruit because there are more calories per volume then fresh fruit. (By the way who eats a cup of raisins...that is just icky. There is a reason they are sold in little boxes). Even with the higher sugar content...dried fruit is still better for you then fried potatoes.

There is no perfect wonder food that will give you all of your bodies daily nutrition requirements and not contribute to your calorie count for the day. Be smart about your nutrition. One of the things I am working on right now is trying to break down the barriers created by years of body image contradictions so that I can figure out what is causing me to eat the way I do. It is a hard process. This type of thing doesn't help.

No comments: