Saturday, March 19, 2011

Salt-Crusted Chicken

I have long been a fan of the Chocolate and Zucchini blog. I love her style of writing and her general outlook on the world. Her culinary tastes are different than mine, but I have appreciated and even occasionally enjoyed the new things food doors she has opened up for me.

When I saw it, I couldn't wait to try the recipe she shared for Salt-Crusted Chicken. I had a real struggle with the dough on this one. It does not want to stay together so mine did not come out nearly as beautiful as hers. The chicken however came out so moist and tender and flavorful. I am not sure I want to try the salt-crust again mostly because it was messy and felt a little wasteful, but I definitely a convert to salt-brining (I have never tried it before). I am tempted to try the bread-crusted chicken she posted a few weeks later simply because the dough is then usable.

I also recently played with a kitchen toy I hadn't take the time to try out yet. I know that Alton Brown has long been a promoter of this gadget. We got one for our wedding and I just never took the time to mess with it. I cannot begin to tell you how sorry I am for not trying it sooner. I placed it in some chicken breasts I was baking, set the temp I want, and let it go. The alarm went off and the chicken was PERFECT! I have had GOOD but never PERFECT! Totally in love with this concept and very angry at myself for my laziness at not trying it before.

No comments: