Tuesday, October 5, 2010

End of Summer

My toes are cold this morning - second day in a row so fall must be officially here. I suppose that means now is as good a time as any to wrap up my summer.

I did not really accomplish much on the crafty front with the crazy hours I put in at work all summer and moving into our first home.



I am still getting used to the space but I can't begin to describe how much I love it here. I am also starting to learn the personality of my new kitchen. It sounds odd but we seem to be a little shy around each other. It is getting better.

I did manage to do some canning at the close of the summer season. I made pickled green beans for my husband using some of the produce from the farmers market and also the end-of-summer jam he loves. It is a combination of peaches, pears, plums, lemon and ginger and is unbelievably tasty. It comes out this gorgeous blush color. Sadly my impatience meant I took it off the heat too quick so it is a little thin. Still workable but you have to eat PBJ very quickly :)



I also made some sekanjabin as well. It was a drink I was introduced to through the SCA and while not a big fan at first it has really grown on me. When properly diluted it is really very refreshing.

I am on vacation this week from work so I decided to use the time to get some knitting projects started. I had a bunch of time I needed to use up so while not an exciting vacation hopefully it will be a relaxed one. It is starting to look like it won't be as productive as I originally intended but after all these years you would think I would know that about myself. I have gotten 3 of my 5 knitting projects started. My intent is to cast on a bunch of different patterns/yarns into various projects so when I get a moment I can pick something up and knit on it rather than stalling because I don't feel like casting something on. Mostly just socks although my sweater project is staring at me waiting for me to get the courage to make a swatch. I know I shouldn't be daunted but I am.

No comments: